For those with diabetes, you know that a blood glucose meter is one of the most crucial aspects of managing this chronic condition.
The costs for testing strips have been increasing all across the board. Those with Type 1 diabetes must test upwards of 15 times a day, and those with Type 2, must test more frequently to try to keep their blood glucose levels within their target range.
Insurance companies are trying to dictate not only the brand of blood glucose meter, but the total number of strips that patients need throughout the month. People begin playing the deadly game of going without testing to try to conserve strips. Paying out of pocket is often not a convenient option because prices are for lack of better words, ridiculous. Most name brand testing strips now cost more than $1.00 per strip.
Introducing a More Affordable Solution
The One Drop Chrome Blood Glucose Meter was launched on December 6, 2016, after receiving clearance from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and was started as the result of an IndieGogo campaign. IndieGogo is an online platform where entrepreneurs can launch their ideas. The One Drop Chrome campaign started in June of 2016 and within just a few months, the campaign raised $56,521 of their $50,000 goal, which was backed by 258 backers.
WHAT’S SO SPECIAL ABOUT THE ONE APP?
The One Drop Chrome Blood Glucose Meter was developed by Jeff Dachis, who was diagnosed with Type 1 LADA (Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults) in September of 2013. He developed the One Drop Chrome after he realized that diabetes care and management was not caught up with modern times.
Instead of concentrating on how to prevent diabetes issues to begin with, Dachis found that everyone seemed to be focused on managing the diabetes issues. The meter provides you with accurate blood glucose results in just 5 seconds and all you need for this is one tiny drop of blood. You can also instantly send blood glucose data, via Bluetooth technology, to the One Drop Mobile App. From there, you can share these results with your healthcare provider.
ONLINE PLATFORM AND MOBILE APP
The One Drop Mobile is a free cloud-based app that is available for iOS and Android devices. The app transmits real-time data to One Drop Chrome users. The app first launched in the Apple Store in April of 2015 and in the Android Google Play Store in September of 2016.
The iOS One Drop Mobile App is available in 6 languages, including Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish. The app is compatible with the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch and the Apple Watch. Also, with the iOS app, you can sync all of your data via Apple Health, through a huge array of apps including Dexcom, Fitbit, Garmin, My Fitness Pal, One Touch and Weight Watchers.
In a study done by One Drop, within a 4-week period, those who used the One Drop Mobile App, lowered their A1C levels from 8.2% to 7.2%.
Also with the One Drop Mobile App, you can setup your medication schedule, including non-diabetes medications, so you can receive reminders to take your medications on time. The app also features the “World’s Largest Built-In Food and Nutrition Database.”
This database allows you to create and save your favorite meals and easily count carbs. The One Drop Mobile App community features an array of folks around the world with diabetes and allows you to connect and share with them.
I advise reading the following articles for more information:
IN-APP CDE (CERTIFIED DIABETES EDUCATOR) SUPPORT
If you ever have a question about your One Drop Chrome Blood Glucose Meter or a question regarding managing your diabetes, there is 24/7 support available, in the form of One Drop Experts, found in the One Drop Mobile App. What exactly is One Drop Experts, you ask? Well, it is a diabetes coaching and education support program that is available through the One Drop Mobile App.
The support personnel are all expert Certified Diabetes Educators (CDE’s). A Certified Diabetes Educator is a healthcare professional who has comprehensive experience and knowledge of diabetes management, diabetes prevention and prediabetes. The One Drop Experts are available 24/7 to not only answer any questions you may have, but also, they are there to provide you with accountability, encouragement and support.
In a study done by One Drop, within a 4-week period, those who used the One Drop Experts, lowered their average blood glucose from 185 mg/dl to 158 mg/dl.
One Drop Experts is recommended by the ADA- American Diabetes Association, for meeting the National Standards for Quality Diabetes Self-Management Education and Support.
Live On-Call Support
There are 4 individual programs that are offered by One Drop Experts:
- The One Drop Experts On-Call monthly plan is $12.95 per month. It is an on-demand personalized diabetes coaching program where you can get assistance with managing your diabetes, receive helpful tips regarding exercise and healthy eating, ask any questions you may have and receive any support you may need.
- The One Drop Experts On-Track monthly plan is $12.95 per month. It is a 9-week program that is designed to show you how to effectively manage your diabetes, as well as provide you with valuable information regarding things like reducing your stress levels and overcoming challenges.
- The One Drop Experts Overcoming Diabetes Burnout is a one-time fee of $49.95 for the 10-week program. The program is delivered via the One Drop Mobile App and provides you with the skills and tools you need to conquer an array of emotions you may experience as a diabetic.
- The One Drop Experts Advanced Carb Counting is a one-time fee of $39.95 for the 8-week program. The program is delivered via the One Drop Mobile App and provides you with the skills and tools you need to master the advanced art of carb counting.
One Drop Chrome combines advanced Wave Sense technology and clinically proven results, while also complying with the necessary requirements from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). In clinical settings, 99% of blood glucose measurements obtained with the One Drop Chrome, are within 20% of clinical results. In laboratory settings, 95% of blood glucose measurements obtained with the One Drop Chrome, are within 15% of laboratory results.
SUBSCRIPTION BASED MODEL
The One Drop Chrome Blood Glucose Meter is subscription-based. First, you need to purchase the One Drop Chrome Started Kit, for a one-time fee of just $99.95. In the starter kit, you will receive the One Drop Chrome Blood Glucose meter, the One Drop Chrome Lancing Device, the One Drop Chrome Vegan Leather Case, a 100-Count One Drop Test Strips, a 10-Count One Drop Lancets, Two 3-Volt Lithium Batteries and an Owner’s Guide.
So, what happens when you right out of test strips? Well, there’s a subscription service available with a few different options for you to choose from. With the One Drop Premium subscription service, for $39.95 per month, you will receive, by mail, unlimited test strips and unlimited coaching with One Drop Experts.
With the One Drop Plus 100 subscription service, for $25.95 per month, you will receive, by mail, 100 test strips and unlimited coaching with One Drop Experts. With the One Drop Plus 50 subscription service, for $16.95 per month, you will receive, by mail, 50 test strips and unlimited coaching with One Drop Experts.
The One Drop Chrome Blood Glucose Meter has several pros associated with it.
Here are some of them:
- Sleek and compact meter, which measures 2.75 inches X 1.25 inches X 0.5 inches.
- Meter case made of black vegan leather.
- Meter wirelessly transmits your blood glucose data to the One Drop Chrome Mobile App, via Bluetooth technology, along with other data such as your exercise, food and medication data.
- Test strips for the blood glucose meter are delivered right to your door with no appointments, no hassles and no prescription.
- There is no insurance that is needed in order to participate in the One Drop monthly subscription services.
- You have the ability to order all of your diabetes supplies right through the One Drop Mobile App.
The One Drop Chrome Blood Glucose Meter has a few cons associated with it.
Here are some of them:
- The One Drop Chrome Blood Glucose Meter was designed by someone who is left-handed. What this means is that the test strips are inserted into the device with the left hand, something that may be awkward for those who are right-handed.
- The One Drop Chrome Lancet Device seems to be a disadvantage according to some users. Some users have stated that the device is complicated to learn to use, while other users have stated that the device doesn’t bode well for those with small hands.
If you want more information read these articles:
Today, diabetes affects approximately 500 million people all across the world. And diabetes also costs approximately $825 billion per year, as a result of things like direct costs, disability, healthcare services and loss of productivity. All of these expenses can place a financial burden on those with diabetes.
The good news here is that the One Drop Chrome Blood Glucose Meter can help reduce some of these costs, with not only an affordable starter kit, but also an affordable monthly subscription service, which includes test strips and coaching services. Also, the free One Drop Mobile App, available for iOS and Android devices, provides you with everything you need to manage your diabetes in one place.
TheDiabetesCouncil Article | Reviewed by Dr. Christine Traxler MD on June 01, 2020